Saturday, October 4, 2014

THE CHANGE

   
      In 10 days it will be the 10 month mark for when mine and Brandon's new life began.  10 months ago I would never have guessed I would be where I am today, let alone be where I am and still married to Brandon. Would I do it all differently if I had to do it over? No. If I had the opportunity to chose a different path for my life, would I? No (as tempting as it is). I am who I am today because of the events that have transpired in my life. I am a different person than I was 10 months ago.   I am stronger- I have proven to myself that I can do hard things. I hope to never have to endure something as painful as the last 10 months again, but I know if I'm faced with the challenge I can do it. I can do hard things. I am courageous. There are so many things to fear in this trial. I know fear comes from the adversary and although I do feel fearful sometimes, I have to remind myself of the courage it has taken to pick myself up, brush myself off, put one foot in front of the other, and hold my head high. I have found compassion where I never thought I could. Instead of hate and anger that I could so easily feel for addicts I feel sympathy, sorrow, and love. Although they are hurting their loved ones deeply, they are also hurting themselves with the help of Satan and they aren't in a place where they can even recognize that.  I have always had a really hard time taking ownership of my participation in arguments, especially when it comes to an apology.  Brandon would always be the one to apologize, just to get the argument over.  I now realize my part in a disagreement, or when I may do or say something out of line.  I have no problems saying I'm sorry now.  It used to make me feel weak and vulnerable to apologize.  I know now that an apology is not a sign of weakness but of strength.  I feel empowerment. I have realized that I don't need others to create my happiness for me. I also don't have to put up with any treatment from others that I'm not comfortable with.  I understand love in a deeper fashion.  Don't get me wrong I have always loved my husband but I can look back and see that the love I had for him had restrictions on it to protect myself from unwanted pain.  The change that Brandon has made in himself has helped to lift those restrictions so I can love him unconditionally.  I now have a desire to let my love for him grow.  My relationship with my Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ is stronger and more solid than it ever has been.  I have had to totally trust and rely on my Heavenly Father to get me though these trials, to bless me with the strength, courage, compassion, and love that I so desperately needed to become the person I am.  I have had to rely on the Atonement of my Savior to help me forgive others for the wrongs that have been committed against me, and to be forgiven of the wrongs I myself have committed towards others.  Today, 10 months later, I am a better person than I was yesterday, the day before that, and 10 months before that. I will be a better person tomorrow because I will have one more day of this fight underneath me, and one more day of growth behind me.
        Now I need to give credit where credit is deserved.  That credit needs to be given to Brandon.  None of these changes would have been made had it not been for Brandon and his life choices.  I'm not using sarcasm here.  Like I have said before I believe that the things that happen to us are not mistakes.  They may be unfortunate circumstances, but there is a rhyme to every reason and sometimes things that may look unfortunate to us end up being worth all the fortune in the world.  Fortunately Brandon's life choices have made him who he is today as well.  The "new" Brandon, as we call him, is now the husband I have always desired and the person he has always deserved to be.  He has changed in so many ways for the better.  I am hoping I can describe the changes in the way they deserved to be credited.  These are MY observations of him.  Brandon is real now.  He is not putting on an act, He is not pretending to be someone or something he is not.  Since he has been in recovery he told me that when he was in his addiction he wanted others to think highly of him.  He wanted to drive a nice car, wear nice clothes, appear as though he had endless amounts of money.  It was all about appearances for him.  He now cares more about what God thinks of him than what others do.  He drives a well used 2002 Honda civic, he still dresses nicely (because I buy his clothes for him) but would wear rags if he had to, and he is humble about his finances.  His reasoning for all of this, is because none of it matters.  And he is correct.  What matters to him now is his relationship with his Heavenly Father, and his family.  Many times Brandon's had an air of arrogance about him that was very hard for me endure when I would try to express my feelings of hurt, or anger, or lack of trust I had in him.  He has since humbled himself and has swallowed his pride.  He does acts that are of the Lords will and not his own.  Brandon shows endless amounts of compassion now.  He is now the one who has to bring to light that, I don't know what others are going through, when I may have moments of frustrations with them.  He is a "give them the benefit of the doubt"  kind of person now.  Brandon's temperament is completely opposite of what it use to be.  Brandon had no reservations about yelling at our children.  To the point of embarrassment for me.  I cringed when he would yell.  It was never violent or abusive, just very unbecoming of him.  He no longer yells, let alone raises his voice.  He is calm and collective in parental situations that would have caused him great anger in the past.  Brandon use to be selfish in only ways that I was able to see.  I was quite often disappointed in his lack of concern or care for me.  He now looks for and executes any way to serve me or our kids.  Whether it be doing the dishes for me, giving me a back rub because he knows how much I love them, looking for a special treat to buy the kids when at the store, or making the decision to write me an email exposing who he is and what he's done.  The later was his first selfless act in starting his new life. Brandon faithfully serves his Father in Heaven.  He strives each day to live his life that would be pleasing unto his Heavenly Father, always trying to do good, be positive, and serve others.  Brandon has, through his daily actions, emotions, and tender physical touches, shown love to me that I've never felt before from him.  I've always questioned whether his love for me has been genuine or not.  I now have no doubts about how much he loves me, due to his actions alone.
      I want to make it clear that  Brandon was never a horrible person, he has always been a good person, with a desire to do whats right.  He has ALWAYS been respectful (with the exception of what the addiction drove him to do) of me and my kids, and has always been kind to me.  I know all of the above negative character traits came from the addiction.  I now know that was never who he really was.  Addiction masks so much of a person, and robs them of who they truly were meant to be.  I am so grateful Brandon has been able to not only surface from this addiction but to rise above it and fight it.  I love my husband,  I will always love him.  I respect him, something I have never done before.  I am so grateful for his desire to do whats right, bettering himself, and therefore being able protect and abide over our family.  I am grateful for the spirit that is able to abide in our home now.
      Together, with the changes that we have both made I would dare say this is a recipe for an almost perfect marriage.  With Brandon by my side, I hope to change the world one person at a time.  Starting with ourselves.

I fight for the change in people to become who they are meant to be!

We are teaming up with Maurice Harker http://www.lifechangingservices.org/clinicians/ on October 24th, for a Life Changing Seminar.  Maurice will be teaching principles from his book "I'm not ok, your not ok, and thats ok", and Brandon and I will be sharing our story and things that have helped us in this fight.  We hope to see you all there.  For more information or if interested attending please contact Carol at  801-558-5952


Lots of Love,
Cherae

2 comments:

  1. Your blog should come with a disclaimer... "Get your tissues ready". Lol. I am forever grateful for your inspirational example to me and your love and friendship has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your journey together. Your story is evidence of the real power of the atonement.

    ReplyDelete